Hi My name is Jabiri Salumu,
I'm living in Germany since a year now and I have my resident permit for three years and a German foreigner passport,

But I would to know if I am allowed to travel outside Germany using my passport, is this passport that I was given in Germany allow me to go outside the country such as Africa, America, European countries and none Schengen countries.

And if I would have to travel should I inform jobcenter or any entities
asked Jun 12, 2023 in Legal advice by Smart Djaba | 649 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear Smart Djaba,

Welcome back to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us again.

"Handbook Germany" are explaing details on "how to travel as a foreigner/refugee in Germany" quite well on their website (also in various languages). Let me quote their explanations:

In principle, you can travel abroad if you hold a travel document for foreigners or stateless persons (the so-called "Gray passport"). For most countries, however, you need a visa, plus, not all countries recognise the "Grey Passport" as a valid travel document. Before planning a trip, you should contact the embassy of the country in question to see whether they recognise your travel document and issue you a visa or not. On the last page of this UNHCR report, you can see a list of countries which recognise the "Gray Passport". Whether you will be issued a visa depends on various factors such as your country of origin, nationality, your situation in Germany and alike, so it is difficult to predict the result of your visa application.

As someone who holds a "Grey Passport", you can go to all the Schengen States without a visa and stay there for up to three months. You can find a list of Schengen states at auswaertiges-amt.de.

Please note: You could lose your residence permit in Germany if you travel to your home country while residing in Germany under subsidiary protection or due to a national ban on deportation. If the Immigration Office learns about your trip, they can initiate a revocation procedure, and you could lose your protection and right of residence in Germany.

And yes, if you are receiving an allowance by the jobcenter, you need a permission before travel. You may not exceed 3 weeks absence per year.

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions.

All the best,


answered Jun 13, 2023 by Meike
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,255 questions
6,245 answers
139,246 users