asked Feb 18, 2023 in Legal advice by Ahunwan | 150 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @Ahunwan,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us.

I assume you are currently holding an "Ausbildungsduldung", right?

In this case, you may apply for a residence permit according to section 19d of the German Residence Act which eventually will be issued for two years and subsequently can be extended (as long as the requirements are met). My colleague Éanna gave some information on this residence permit and its conditions here - you may also check "Handbook Germany" for further information (in various languages).

Dear @mbeon-Éanna, does Ahunwan have to secure the livelihood/cover the costs of the whole family in order to receive the 19d? Will the family members receive a residence permit as well or only the working person?

All the best,


answered Feb 25, 2023 by Meike

Dear @Ahunwan, @Meike,

The permit 19d will only be issued for the members of the family whose livelihood is covered. When calculating this, you can include the future Kindergeld you would be entitled to if the kids are issued permits also.

Additional requirements are possessing a passport, having enough living space, and that the spouse speaks A1 level German. Here is more information (via online translation) about this type of permit:


Thank you very much for your reply and the information, dear mbeon@Éanna! :-)
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,205 questions
6,188 answers
139,190 users