Please l have a problem with Familienkasse and I need your help as to how to go about it. I gave birth on the 15th of march and applied for Kindergeld. Since her permit was not out yet, I haven't been receiving anything at least that is what I was thinking. Her permit came out last month but yet I haven't heard or received any benefits from them. I have been writing emails and calling but there hasn't been any fruitful outcome. I have contacted jobcentre too but they said they were waiting Familienkasse, whilst Familienkasse too are saying they are waiting for Jobcenter. Now I don't know what to do. Please what can I do next? Thanks
asked Oct 11, 2022 in Money by Lydia | 903 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote

Dear Lydia, 

unfortunately I can't tell you with full certainty what the reason for the delay is. It is important for you to know if you have submitted all documents. The best way to do this is to contact the family benefits office in charge. Unfortunately, some federal states have experienced delays due to the summer vacations.

In general, you can find out on which day your child benefit should theoretically be paid out by looking at your child benefit number. Please have a **** at this website: 


Take the last number: xxxFKxxxxx9 here for example the 9, payment 21.10. 

I hope to have helped you with this. Feel free to contact us if you still don't get an answer from the family fund, then we can think again together. In my experience, the offices just always take a little longer to answer. 

With best regards 

answered Oct 12, 2022 by Saskia Wefugees
Thanks for your support. The main problem is, I don't know who is collecting the next information from whom.

Today l just received a letter from the Familienkasse telling me that they are waiting for Jobcenter when I sent a letter that l received from the jobcentre that they are waiting for Familienkasse to them.
I don't know who is delaying who or which organisation needs the information from who. I have proved letters from both of them. All of them are saying they waiting for the other.
Please help me out here since I am so confused. Thanks

Hi @Lydia,

I do not know of a reason why the Familienkasse would have to wait for anything about the Jobcenter. Receiving benefits or not from the Jobcenter does not have any effect on your right to receive Kindergeld.

You can write a complaint to the Familienkasse here:


Then someone else form the Familienkasse will examine your application and respond to you.

I do understand probably why the Jobcenter is waiting. They wish to see from what month you do in fact receive Kindergeld and how much. They then use this information to calculate how much money to give you. However, the Jobcenter can definitely already pay you, either calculating with or without the Kindergeld. They can, for example, pay you as if you do not receive Kindergeld and then request the Familienkasse to pay them directly the Kindergeld for that period back. It is a confusing way of doing things but unfortunately that’s how it’s done.

If you are in a difficult financial situation, I recommend you ask the Jobcenter to make a preliminary decision according to paragraph 41a of the relevant law (SGB II). I would emphasise that they have all the information they need and that you and your young child are in a very precarious situation. You can also request them to give you an advance payment in cash.

If you need assistance with this, you can let us know where you are in Germany and we can find an organisation to help.



Please l am in Eschweiler and l will appreciate your help. And with regards to jobcentre, l haven't received any additional money from them ever since my child was born. I receive the same amount they have been paying with additional 70 euros for her upkeep.
So will the Familienkasse pay all these 7 months kindergeld to jobcentre whilst they haven't paid me that money? I do have all jobcentre's bescheid with me, indicating that there haven't been any kindergeld money. And please which organisation or person should I attend to incase the need arises.
Dear Lydia,

we are really sorry to hear about your situation.  
You can get free counseling in Eschweiler from the AWO.

AWO District Association Aachen-Land e. V.
Regional refugee counseling

Gutenbergstrasse 52
52249 Eschweiler

Phone: 0 24 03 / 72 02 11 7
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,332 questions
6,335 answers
139,347 users