I’m a minor who has a residence permit in Italy,

I got it through family reunification by my mother who fled iraq and got refugee status in Italy.

Can a minor who travels to Germany unaccompanied get  refugee status on the basis of abuse, living condintions or future studying. And can the unaccompanied minor get deported even if he refuses to go back to Italy.

And if the minors status does get transferred to Germany and he gets a residence permit can the minor apply for family reunification and bring his mother to Germany if she has nowhere to live or the living conditions are unlivable.

If the minor can’t apply for reunification can the mother enter Germany irregularly and live with the minor after he gets a residence permit.

Thank you
asked Aug 10, 2022 in Asylum proceedings by scxen | 262 views
Dear @scxen, welcome to Wefugees and thank you for reaching out to us. I will link our experts @mbeon-Ruth, @mbeon-Christine and @mbeon-Éanna here. Maybe they can have a **** at your questions and help you with an answer. Kind regards, Julia

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
Hi @scxen, My understanding of what would happen is as follows: If you entered Germany alone as a minor and applied for asylum, you would be first taken into the care of the state. You would be assigned special housing for minors and there would be a social worker responsible for you. As part of the asylum process, there are a special set of rules called the Dublin rules which decide which country should be responsible for processing your asylum claim. As you have been given a residency permit by Italy, it is Italy that allowed you enter the EU and therefore are responsible for you. You would be expected to leave the country and return to Italy (probably accompanied by an official or social work as you are a minor). If you refuse to do so, you could be deported to Italy. In certain circumstances, courts have ruled that people cannot be returned to Italy even if Italy has the responsibility. This is generally due to issues around housing and access to support in Italy for vulnerable persons. However, the fact that in your case your mother is in Italy means in my view it is highly unlikely a court would decide against you being returned. It is generally accepted that a minor should where possible be taken care of by a parent (even if the conditions in Italy are not good). You use the word abuse in your question and it is not clear from the context what you mean. If you are the victim of abuse, there may be other possibilities open to you. You can of course use this website to ask any questions you have but if you are a victim of any kind of abuse, I recommend you should seek help firstly where you are. I am happy to find out what services in Italy could help you (‘I speak some Italian). Let me know if you would like this. You can also contact me privately on the app mbeon if you feel more comfortable there. Kind regards, Éanna
answered Aug 12, 2022 by mbeon-Éanna
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,255 questions
6,245 answers
139,247 users