Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Dear Wefugee Teams,

I would like to know, whether the people need to recognize the marriage certificates in Germany if they married Abroad und even for the people in their Asylum Process? If yes, where the Asylum seeker need to go to submit the recognition of their marriage? What will be the step by step procedure? I heard from my friends, that the tax class will be differ if the marriage is not yet recognize. Is that true?


Karin Alex
asked Dec 29, 2021 in Legal advice by Karin Alex

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear Karin Alex,

Welcome back to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us again.

The website of the Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt) is giving information on marriages which took place outside of Germany.

Also "Handbook Germany" is providing some very useful tipps and information: "If you marry abroad, you need to have your marriage officially registered in Germany as well. To do so, you must submit an application for a certificate of marriage to the relevant Civil Registry Office. You will also need to present your marriage certificate and, if necessary, a so-called "apostille". The apostille is an official document confirming the authenticity of the marriage certificate. All these documents must have been translated by a certified translator."

So the first step will be to contact your local registry office (Standesamt) - I am sure they can give you all the details on the required documents etc.

As long as your marriage is not registered, the tax office is listing you as single and you can not benefit from potential benefits for married people. I did not understand exactly what you wanted to ask on the asylum procedure. Maybe you can get back to us again and explain a bit more.

I hope this helps and all the best,


answered Jan 15 by Meike
4,045 questions
4,813 answers
136,527 users