Thanks for providing good answers to so many questions. I claimed asylum at the start of 2020. I had lived in another European country for a few months before travelling to Germany and claiming asylum. I had my main interview sometime in August and there was a problem with the translator, as she appeared not to fully understand me. I stated this and the interview was suspended. I waited until May 2021 when I was given another interview. This was done and it went successfully.

I have not heard back from them since then. Is this normal that five months after the interview, I am yet to get feedback?

I currently have a work visa and have some health situations, meaning I need to be with my partner who lives in another European country. What are my options?

What is the process of withdrawing the application at this stage so, so I can travel? I will need to apply for a visa, could that be a problem if I withdraw my application, given that I have a valid visa in Germany? Can I simply request for my passport?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

asked Oct 11, 2021 in Asylum proceedings by roinewman | 1,098 views
Hi. l recall l waited for a year or more to get an answer. And when you request your passport they will deport you to the first point of entrance where you came from in Europe. They don't just handle your passport that easy. All the best.

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @roinewman

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us. 

From my experience, it is not very unusual in the German asylum procedure that people have to wait a few months to receive the decision of the BAMF. During the pending asylum procedure, you hold a so-called "Aufenthaltsgestattung" which grants you to stay in Germany as long as the BAMF is assessing the application. It is not a visa or a residence permit. 

Unfortunately, I have to agree with @kathy on your plans: I doubt that the authorites will simply hand out the passport without following where you are leaving to. As non-EU citizen (there are only a very few exceptions), you need to apply for a visa for the respective country. The "Aufenthaltsgestattung" in Germany does not allow you to travel freely within the EU. In case you are married, you may be able to apply for a family re-unification visa. A job visa could be another opportunity if you manage to get a job offer. You will need to check the individual requirements of that country and the visa category. 

Sorry that I can not give you a more positive answer. I will also link two of our experts here: dear @mbeon-fardeen or @mbeon-ruth, can you give any advice on this case? 

Please also don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions. 

All the best, 


answered Oct 30, 2021 by Meike
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,303 questions
6,291 answers
139,299 users