Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
I am a Lebanese master's student in Italy and holder of Italian residence permit, however i got accepted in Germany and I'm planning to pursue my studies there , so what would be the process to move, taking into consideration that I came back to Lebanon for the vacation and the German Embassy in Lebanon can't help me in this case. Also i heard that i may contact the Auslander departement and they will transfer my residence permit to Germany so is that true?
Your help is much appreciated
asked Jul 5, 2021 in Education by Hadil N

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes

Dear Hadil N,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and sorry for the rather late reply.

I am a bit surprised that the German embassy in Beirut can not give you further information. I am afraid that you need to apply for a student visa there or in Rome. Please see the website of the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) for more details and a list of requirements. I don't think that your study residence permit can be "transferred" to Germany. 

But I will also link two of our experts here: Dear @mbeon-fardeen or @manrhei-mbeon, am I right on this and/or can you add some further information?

In any case, please don't hesitate to get back to us or give us an update, for instance.

All the best,


answered Aug 29, 2021 by Meike
0 votes
Dear @Hadil N,

according to the Federatl Office for Migration and Refugees of Germany, if you want to stay in Germany up to 360 days and you already have a residence permit from Italy, which is valid for the entire duration of your stay in Germany, you don't require a German residence permit. However, your must contact the department of foreign students in your University in Germany, so that they can apply for a certifcate of a declatory nature in the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees of Germany for you.

Here you can read more about;jsessionid=B701358A618138C34FEDFBBBE4B23302.internet532

For stays of more than 360 days you need a residence permit of Germany and there is another procedure for it. In the above link, you can find some details about it. Nevertheless, in this case also, I would recommend you to contact the department of foreign students in your University in Germany. Because from you question it is not clear enough if you want to do a one or two semesters of your Masters in Germany and stay less than one year here?/Are you coming based on an exchange program between your current university and the university in Germany? Do you want to do your Masters in a new field? Or you want to do your PhD in Germany?

You can also get back to us by providing more clarification about your question.

I hope my answer was useful for you and I'll be very pleased if you contact me again with further questions. I'm a member of the MBEON-staff and I‘ll be glad to guide you over a longer period of time. Mbeon is an online consultancy for migrants via the mbeon-app, which you can install on your smartphone for free. Download it via App Store or Google Play Store. You'll find me In the mbeon-app under my name „München, Herr Noori“ and get confidential one-to-one advice in a safe virtual room where nobody can wiretap messages. Further information:

Best Wishes

Fardeen Noori
answered Aug 30, 2021 by mbeon-fardeen
4,043 questions
4,812 answers
136,524 users