Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Please I'm holding a permanent residence but when I gave birth they have given my son only one year visa Please I don't understand why?
asked Jun 5 in Legal advice by Millicent6i 1 flag

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @Millicent6i,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for your question. 

I assume that the immigration office (Ausländerbehörde) issued your son a residence permit according to section 33 of the German Residence Act - as child born in Germany with parents (or at least one parent) holding a residence permit. Please see the details on how to obtain this residence permit in Berlin, for instance, here. In general, a permanent residence (Niederlassungserlaubnis) is only given to adults or minors who are at least 16 years old. Please check this website for more information on this. Younger children's residence is usually dependent on their parents' residence permit in Germany. However, children born in Germany with parents who have stayed (legally) in Germany since at leat 8 years and who hold a permanent residence at the time of the birth may also be entitled to receive the German citizenship.

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions.

All the best,


answered Jun 6 by Meike
Please Meike thank you for your answer but since you said my kid residence will depend on my residence permit and I'm saying I have been  holding a permanent residence (Niederlassungserlaubnis) for the past two years so why will they give my new born only one year thank you
3,843 questions
4,607 answers
136,113 users