I have been married to a German Lady almost 4 years now, but i have not been working due to deutsch course and some vocational training for some time now. So my question is, is it possible to apply for a Permanent Residence or do i need to get a job first, proof that we are not getting any help from the Government?
asked Mar 16, 2021 in Legal advice by Flint | 712 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote

Dear @Flint,

Welcome back to the Wefugees Community and thank you for your question.

We discussed a very similar one already here before. Please follow the link for more information. On this website (here referring specifically to Berlin though) you may find a detailed list of the requirements. To answer in short: Yes, in general the livelihood of you and your family (foreign family members) needs to be secured and you should not receive money from the Jobcenter or the Social Welfare Office (Sozialamt). There are allowances, as the "Kindergeld" for instance, which on the other hand do not have a negative effect on your application.

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions.

All the best,


answered Mar 16, 2021 by Meike
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,329 questions
6,333 answers
139,342 users