Dear Sir or Madam,

A Sri Lankan family has been living in India for over 30 years as an asylum.

The daughter is 24 years old and is VLSI Design Engineer (Master)

She was born in India.

She has a refugee status in India and both Indian and Sri Lankan birth certificate.

I am 30 years old and I am IT Engineer and I live in Germany. I have a German citizenship and would like to marry her.

1. is there any possibility to bring her to Germany and marry her?

2. what are the possibilities if I marry her in India? Can I then bring her over to Germany?

Thank You!

Best Regards

asked Jan 24, 2021 in Legal advice by mrvena | 270 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes
Hello, mrvena

I’m from India, I think I have better knowledge about your case brother. I would suggest you to go to India and get married there. It is easy and not so time consuming as in Germany. Take your certificate of no impediment/Ehefähigskeitszeugnis from Germany, Your birth certificate, passport (please confirm if more documents are required). You both will have to go to the office of Sub registrar and apply for getting married. They will tell you to file the required documents (Not older than six months). Then they will issue a notice of marriage for one month and ask you both also to do the same in newspaper. If no objections are raised within 30 days you can get married as soon as possible. Then you can come to Germany, file your marriage certificate and get permissions for family reunion and spouse visa. Send these copies to your spouse in India along with your financial documents and house/rent agreements that shows you can support your partner. Your spouse can then apply in India for the visa with all the documents. (Please confirm the procedure again before leaving for India and ask Standesamt for the required documents)


answered Jan 25, 2021 by Arora
0 votes

Dear @mrvena,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us. 

I agree with @Arora. One possibility is that you marry in India and your spouse subsequently applies for a family reunification visa at the German embassy in India. But there is also an option to apply for a visa for an "intended marriage". With this kind of visa your partner could travel to Germany and you both can get married here. You may find all the details on both procedures at the German embassy's website. Just follow the link.

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions.

All the best,


answered Feb 12, 2021 by Meike
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,772 questions
5,709 answers
138,541 users