Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Hello Wefugees Members,
I am a bit confused as to how do I know if my Duldung is cleared identity Duldung or uncleared identity Duldung.
Can someone please tell me how do I differentiate between the two.

Thank you
asked Dec 5, 2020 in Asylum proceedings by MB
edited Dec 5, 2020 by MB

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @MB,

Welcome back to the Wefugees Community and thank you for your question.

A "normal" Duldung would be issued according to section 60a of the German Residence Act and the Duldung for "persons whose identity is not varified" refers to section 60b of the residence law - often described as "Duldung light". The immigration office may want to issue that kind of worse Duldung if people don't present a passport, for instance. However, they should inform you as soon as they introduce the procedure of "downgrading" your Duldung. With receiving the Duldung light, people also need to face santions as considerable social money cuts, a work ban, or the prohibition to move freely to another place/region in Germany. 

Another negative aspect is, that the time you are holding the "Duldung light" can actually not be counted for the minimum length of stay criteria (i.e. applying for residence permit according to section 25b).

In case the immigration office is introducing such a procedure or may have issued the Duldung according to 60b already, I would highly recommend you to get support by a lawyer or in a counselling office, for instance.

This brochure explains the details and gives further information (in German though). 

I hope this helps and all the best,


answered Dec 5, 2020 by Meike
Thank you for the response.
Actually I was issued my first 3 months Duldung according section 60a Abs. 2 Satz 1 in September 2020 and it was renewed for another 6 months last week.
But nothing is written on the Duldung as normal or light Duldung.
But Ausländerbehörde has my Birth certificate and another written document from my country embassy here in Germany confirming that there is no passport or passport substitute service at the embassy.
That's why I'm asking how do I know which Duldung I am having.
3,550 questions
4,289 answers
135,343 users