Can Syrian refugees in Germany holding 3 years residence permit ( that says they are allowed to work) apply for jobs or study elsewhere?
asked Nov 12, 2020 in Asylum proceedings by Simplewoman | 310 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Hello @Simplewoman,

thank you for sharing your question with us.

I assume you either have received a refugee protection or asylum Entitlement, based on which you have a 3 years residence permit,  from the Migration Office.

Based on the section 12a of residence law of Germany in both of the above cases you can leave your city or region and go to the other city/region for a job, in which you work at least 15 hours per week and get enough money for your living expenses, for a study or for a vocational training program. So you can apply for a job or study program in the other cities of Germany and before signing a contract with an employer or joining a study program, I recommend you to talk about moving from your city of residence to the other city with your Foreigners Office (Ausländerbehörde).

Here is the link for the residence law in English, where you can also read the section 12a of it:


I hope my answer was useful for you and I'll be very pleased if you contact me again with further questions. I'm a member of the MBEON-staff  and I‘ll be glad to guide you over a longer period of time. Mbeon is an online consultancy for migrants via  the mbeon-app, which you can install on your smartphone for free. Download it via App Store or Google Play Store. You'll find me In the mbeon-app under my name „München, Herr Noori“ and get confidential one-to-one advice in a safe virtual room where nobody can wiretap messages. Further information: ***.mbeon.de

With kind regards, 

Fardeen Noori

answered Nov 12, 2020 by mbeon-fardeen
Sorry, I meant outside of Germany.
@Simplewoman, unfortunately you are not allowed to stay more than six months in other countries. If you stay more than six months or any extra period of time specified by the Foreigners Office (ABH), you will lose your residence permit. You will lose your residence permit if you leave Germany for one of following purposes and do not come back within 6 months: * To Study abroad (although you can go because of a part of your study, for example, a semester of your study but even in that case you should take the permission of the Foreigners Office for it. * To work abroad * Marriage abroad * Permanent residence abroad * Taking care of a member of family abroad However, if you want to stay more than 6 months abroad you must take the permission of the foreigners office for that otherwise you lose your residence permit. Here is the link for the article of the law in German: https://***.gesetze-im-internet.de/aufenthg_2004/__51.html
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,002 questions
5,965 answers
138,958 users