Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany

Hello there hope i can get some answers.
i have been married for less than 3 years to a german. i got 3 years permit. been working for 2 years and 3months now, got my A1 B1 B2 and even Einbürgerung. if we seperate now, can i Renew my Permit when it's Expire? base on me working and not taking socialhelp or support.

asked Jul 10, 2020 in Legal advice by Sofi

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @Sofi

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us. 

I am not sure if I fully understand your situation: You did an "Einbürgerung"? That would actually mean that you are German citizen now and obviously have permanent residence. But I assume that this was a misunderstanding. 

For an independent residence permit according to §31 of the German residence Act you indeed need to be married in Germany since minimum three years (as far as I know minimum 2 years for Turkish citizens). There are exceptions though, if the person suffered from violence in the relationship, for instance. 

However, not fulfilling the requirements for the §31 AufenthG does not necessarily lead to immediate deportation. I would highly recommend you to see a lawyer or to make an appointment in a migration counselling office, for instance, to discuss your options. 

In any case, always feel free to get back to us with any further questions. 

All the best, 


answered Jul 10, 2020 by Meike
3,780 questions
4,513 answers
135,933 users