I trained as a nurse after my class 10. Then came to Germany as an au pair. I would love to continue with the nursing specialist Ausbidung, but my language is lacking. I was enrolled at VHS and would have got B2 by july, but Corona destroyed everything. The highest i can get is a B1 by October.
Also, all my certificates are in Africa and i can not access them until Corona is done. I have provisional results from my secondary, nursing school and many recommendations from humanitarian organizations, and schools for the disabled that i volunteered for in Africa.

Can my promise tonstudy german or my letters of regstration at VHS be considered as a proof of german language?

Can my provisional results be used instead of the actual certificates?( the result slips are also provided by the ministry of Education in my country  and have almost the same content, only the size and layout of documentsis different)

My residence permit expires in November, will they allow me to extend it even if my ausbildung will start  months later, for example in February or April?
asked May 27, 2020 in Education by VerbalQueen | 2,130 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote
Best answer

Hello @VerbalQueen,

thank you for reaching out to the Wefugees community and for sharing your questions with us.

The law on nursing professions provides that nursing schools can refrain from demanding "language knowledge at a level that enables professional practice" at the beginning of your vocational training, but in practice, at least in Bavaria, they want to be shown a B2-certificate until 1st of September.

That is due to the fact that the apprenticeship is linguistically very demanding.

To apply to the schools, your current proofs are sufficient. Don't just send your documents with your application, try to get an appointment and explain your situation. The schools (and the hospitals where you'll be working later) might even benefit from a candidate with practical experience. Some federal states of Germany even accept applicants with a B1 level - as you have a proof there will be a B1 exam in October you stand some chance to get your training postition. You could also try to sit the exams in July or August, if you want to play safe. Some schools offer the DTZ or B1 from July on.

Some remarks about how to secure your residence permit: As a last resort, if no school is willing to accept you, you might apply simultaneously for a voluntary service in nursing at a hospital. This is called "Bundesfreiwilligendienst", and as a rule, the immigration authorities approve a contract to issue a visa for voluntary service if the application has been early submitted. Nevertheless you should ask them in advance.

Another, but not so preferable option would be to apply fot the one-year nursing assistance training position. here B1 is sufficient, and you'll easily get a visa for it. It's not simply wasted time (because you already know a lot more), because this year could shorten the ensuing nursing vocational training from three to two years. Furthermore, it provides you with enough freedom to brush up your German to an excellent B2 level and to gain valuable insights into the German health system and terminology.

I hope my answers were helpful and I’ll be very pleased if you contact me again with further questions. I'm a member of the mbeon-staff and I‘ll be glad to guide over a longer period of time. mbeon is an online advisory service for migrants via the mbeon-app, which you can download on your smartphone for free. You'll find me in the mbeon-app under my name „München, Frau Müller“ and get confidential one-to-one advice in a safe virtual room where nobody can read messages. For further information please visit ***.mbeon.de.

Download for Android: https://play.google.***/store/apps/details?id=de.zone35.mbeon

Download for iOS: https://apps.apple.***/de/app/mbeon-messengerberatung/id1408795643

Best regards


answered May 28, 2020 by mbeon-Christine
Thank you. Inzave tfked ro reach outnon the above mentioned platform without sucess.

I have a nother question:
If i am applying to different nursing schools, lets say 3, do i need my documents recognised three times?
Do i need to 3 copies of each of my documents, all certified?
No, you will undergo the recognition process only once.
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,013 questions
5,977 answers
138,972 users