Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany

Hello everyone 

I am from iran and i am a refugee in germany i was accepted by Ministry of foreign Affairs of germany and i just renew my resident permit for the second three years, my question is about marriage, do i have the right to marry some one and bring that person to germany because the person i love is living outside of EU countries if so can you please give me a link or something of the law that i can or cannot do so based on that law. Thank you all very much it is so important to me i will be really grateful if you can help me out. 

asked Apr 28, 2020 in Asylum proceedings by James67

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Hello @James67,

thank you for reaching out to the Wefugees community and for sharing your question with us.

You mentioned that you were recognised by the Ministry of Foreign affairs, so it is not completely clear to me what kind of residence permit you are holding at the moment. Normally refugees are recognised by BAMF or court, so could please clarify this?

Much of the answer depends on this. As a recognized asylum seeker for instance, you cannot travel to your home country to get married, because this would entail the revocation of your residence permit and subsequently the termination of your residence permit.

According to section 30 of the Residence Act, subsequent immigration of spouses is allowed if

1.both spouses are at least 18 years of age,

2.the spouse is able to communicate in the German language at least on a basic level (A1 level of the common Europeam Reference Framework) and

3. the foreigner (you)

- possesses a permanent settlement permit, or

- possesses a temporary residence permit pursuant to Sections 20, 20 b or Section 25 (1) or (2),

Furthermore, your income should cover all livelihood expenses for two adults, housing costs and costs for the health insurance of your spouse.
For the documents required please read our blog "How to marry".
I hope my answers were helpful and I’ll be very pleased if you contact me again with further questions. I'm a consultant with mbeon and I‘ll be glad to guide you over a longer period of time. mbeon is an online advisory service for migrants via app, which you can download on your smartphone for free. You'll find me in the mbeon-app under my name „München, Frau Müller“ and get confidential one-to-one advice in a safe virtual room where nobody can read messages. For further information please visit

Best regards, 




answered Apr 28, 2020 by mbeon-Christine
3,776 questions
4,512 answers
135,924 users