Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany

Hello folks,

I have just completed my vocational training (Fachinformatiker) .

Current Situation: 

  • Duldung 
  • Working on a probationary period
  • Handed over my Passport to the authority
  • opted to §18a


  1. What would be the duration of my residence permit? (if i get one)
  2. Could be extended? (if yes, requirements)
  3. Can i visit my Home country and return?
  4. Should i be concerned about something else?

Thank you very much for your effort and help

asked Sep 9, 2019 in Legal advice by Smile
edited Sep 11, 2019 by Smile

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
Best answer

Dear @Smile,

Thank you for sharing your questions with the Wefugee Community!

I assume you were holding the so-called "Ausbildungsduldung" according to § 60a Abs. 2 S. 4 ff. AufenthG?

In general, the residence permit following §18a AufenthG (which people normally apply for just after holding the Duldung I mentioned before) will be issued for two years. 

According to this source (Refugee Council of Lower Saxony/Flüchtlingsrat Niedersachsen), you can apply for an extension of the residence permit as long as you meet the requirements (those you will find here in detail).

If you are holding a valid travel document and you have a visa (if needed/ please check conditions of individual countries) you should also be allowed to travel for a certain period.

I hope this helps and feel free to get back to us with any further questions!

All the best,


answered Sep 13, 2019 by Meike
selected Sep 13, 2019 by Smile
2,768 questions
3,409 answers
133,009 users