I came to Finland in December to come see if I would want to stay here.
My 3 months end in March,but what I wanna know is if I can get a job and if I do will I be able to stay and do paper work from here??
If not possible,are there ways for me to stat here longer?
asked Feb 12, 2019 in Legal advice by vanessa

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @vanessa,

Welcome to Wefugees and thank you for reaching out to us!

I'm not an expert on Finland's policies but had a look and found plenty of helpful websites around residence permits for work.

The first website should answer your question if you can extend your short-term visa: https://www.infofinland.fi/en/moving-to-finland/non-eu-citizens/a-short-stay-in-finland

You may have to contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs/ Police (see website) for more information on your options.

Furthermore, here is information on the steps you need to take in order to apply for a work visa: https://www.infofinland.fi/en/moving-to-finland/non-eu-citizens/coming-to-work-in-finland

And: https://migri.fi/en/working-in-finland

Please note that the website states you have to be out of the country in order to apply for the residence permit for work:

"If you come to work in Finland, you need a residence permit. Before a residence permit can be granted to you, you must find a job in Finland. When you have found a job, you can apply for a residence permit. You must apply for a residence permit before you come to Finland.

To work in Finland, you normally need either a residence permit for an employed person or some other residence permit entitling you to work. The type of permit depends on what kind of work you will be doing."

I hope this information helps. Feel free to reach out to us again if you have any more question, or reach out to a local immigration authority :-) 

All the best,


answered Feb 18, 2019 by Isa
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,371 questions
5,227 answers
137,323 users