Hello. My name is Ebrima Sannoh.

I have an Italian refugees status, last week I have a job offer here in Hamburg, then I went to the foreign office to **** for working permit but, the lady I meet there said I can't. So I am kind of confuse. Am staying here learning the language paying my course for myself. So I decided to go and **** for job so that I can buy my books and have what to eat. I looked for job because I don't want to involve in any illegal things. I am really looking for help. I don't know whether you guys can help me an idea? Or if I can change my documents to German residence permit?

Ebrima Sannoh
asked Feb 2, 2019 in Legal advice by Eb | 6,459 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @Eb, Ebrima Sannoh,

Thank you for reaching out to us again.

I have previously given you an answer to your question here: With a refugee status in Italy, am I allowed to work in Germany?

The reason why you were told you aren't eligible to work in Germany is summarized here:

"If you have a residence title of another Schengen country 1, you can be issued with a German residence title after your entry.
However, this applies only if you have a right to a residence title pursuant to the German Residence Act (Aufenthaltsgesetz).

In particular, you have a right to a residence title in the following cases:

  • You have an EU long-term residence permit 2
  • Issuance of a EU Blue Card
  • You have immigrated to join your German relatives
  • You have immigrated to join your spouse or same-sex life partner

In particular, you do not have a right in the following cases:

  • You start education or training
  • You intend to start an economic activity (except within the framework of an EU Blue Card)

1 National visas, Schengen visas, temporary residence permits for asylum seekers (Aufenthaltsgestattungen) and temporary suspensions of deportation (Duldungen) of other Schengen countries are not residence titles in this sense.

2 EU long-term residence permits of these countries are not included: Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Great Britain, Ireland and Romania"

Source: https://***.berlin.de/labo/willkommen-in-berlin/einreise/verlaengerung-eines-visums/artikel.599692.en.php

If you are in Hamburg, you can try and reach out to a refugee support service. They might be able to share some ideas with you. Here are the contact details of Flüchtlingszentrum Hamburg: https://***.fz-hh.de/de/kontakt.php

Also, here is more information on when you are eligible for an EU long-term residence permit: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/residence/documents-formalities/eu-nationals-permanent-residence/index_en.htm

And: ****://***.pratomigranti.it/en/documenti/permesso-soggiorno/tipologie/lungo-periodo/richiesta/pagina73.html

I hope this information helps. Maybe some other members can share their experiences here, too!

All the best,


answered Feb 4, 2019 by Isa
Thank you very much Isa I really appreciate your efforts
Thank you @Eb! I'm glad I was able to help. Best, Isa
Thank you Isa, for your resourceful answer.

You wrote that a person with an EU long-term residence permit has a Right to a residence in Germany.

What is the process for a non EU National with a Permanent Residence issued in lets say Italy to work in other EU Country for example in Germany?
Hi i have a similar situation and i would be really thankful if i could get some information from this group.

I am a young architect from a NON-EU country i have finished my master degree studies in Italy, at the moment i hold an Italian Residence Permit "looking for job" (Permesso di Soggiorno atteza occupacione). I came in Germany few days ago, i have found a job which meets all the requirements for the BLUE CARD ( early income above 43k) but i have been rejected from the ausländerbehörde with the pretext i have to go back in my country to apply for VISA. With all this current situation i am really looking to skip the traveling and start working as soon as possible.

P.S My italian residence permit is not permanent and moreover is due to expire really soon, i would appreciate a response as soon as possible.

All the Best :)
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,323 questions
6,318 answers
139,328 users