Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
I am German and I have a question about marriage. If I marry my boyfriend in another country without certificate of no impediment (Ehefähigkeitszeugnis) and I get a marriage certificate with apostille will I have any problem here in Germany or will this marriage absolute accepted here?
asked Dec 29, 2018 in Legal advice by Heike
retagged Dec 31, 2018

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

+1 vote
Yes it will be accepted here as far as u have a valid Marriage Certificate, Good luck and Best regards Nelly
answered Dec 30, 2018 by Nelly Overcomer
+1 vote

Dear @Heike,

Thank you very much for your question and Welcome to the Wefugees community!

Since you ask about the certificate of no impediment/ Ehefähigkeitszeugnis, I believe this link from the Berlin service website is quite helpful:

Here is another link from the Standesamt Nürnberg answering important questions about the certificate:

(Both are German sources)

To me it looks like it would be best to go to/ call your responsible Landesamt or Standesamt to ask about all the documents you will need in order to get married abroad and how to make sure the marriage will be fully recognized in Germany (because there are some countries where a certificate of no impediment is mandatory to get married, so also remember to check the requirements in the specific country you want to marry in). 

I hope these sources help to answer your question.

Do feel free to reach out to us again if you need any further assistance!

All the best,


answered Dec 31, 2018 by Isa
Sorry for the late reaction  
Thank you for your answer but I know this procedure.
My question is the acceptence of a marriage without certificate of impediment when I would get a marriage certificate with apostille.
German offices will accept this marriage?
Thank you!
@Heike, please tell me also where is it possible to get married without certificate of no impediment. I'm in deep problem related to certificate. I'm in Germany (No legal status) and my girlfriend is German citizen.
3,623 questions
4,357 answers
135,541 users