I m refugee in Munich and i want to know that can I travel in Europe on my refugee status (my refugee status still in process) or is there any limit on refugee status after few years on refugee status or Duldung can I travel?
Is there any rule for refugee who can travel in Europe?
asked May 16, 2017 in Legal advice by Kikia | 9,601 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

3 Answers

+3 votes
Hello @Kikia,

as far as I can see your current resident status (temporary resident permit) only allows travelling within Germany (****://tinyurl.***/n27vxez - Text is in German, but it's a very short and clear information).
If your asylum is granted you can travel in Europe (https://***.wefugees.de/k/questions/1238)

Best regards
answered May 16, 2017 by Jan
+1 vote
Hello @Kikia

nice to hear from you again.

We discussed similar questions here in the community in the past. Please take a **** at the following links to get an overview of the topic:



To sum up the information given through the links above:

As soon as you get a positive result for your asylum process you should get a residence title and a passport. You can use said passport to travel more than 100 countries worldwide including most of the EU (the so called Schengen Space). You can stay there for 3 months at most - for longer stays you need a visa.

Concerning your specific situation:

It's a little bit more complicated since you are still in the asylum process. Therefore you haven't received a passport yet and you are not allowed to leave Germany. Within the first 3 months you are maybe even obliged to stay within a certain area of Germany ("Residenzpflicht").

As far as I can see you have to wait for the result of your asylum process. If you get a residence permit for 3 years then the rules that I summarized above apply.

With a Duldung you won't be allowed to leave Germany.

If you get subsidiary protection then you won't get a passport as well, but you can use your residence title in combination with a) the passport of your home country, or b) with a so called "Reiseausweis für Ausländer" to travel to other countries. Keep in mind that you might have to get a visa first.

I hope this answer was helpful for you. In case I missed some information I will link @Marcel and @Steven our great lawyers here on the platform so that they can add information if necessary.

Best regards,
answered May 16, 2017 by Thor
In case of getting negative. Can i go to another country and ask for asylum there?
Hello thanks for all information that you mentioned. I have a residence permit in the Netherlands for 5 years so  my question is that can I travel only with my ID card (without refugee passport) in Schengen countries ? Thanks
0 votes
I am refugee in italy I have subsidiary protection and I want to know that if I move in nord europe just like finland norway Netherland Germany etc
So it's possible ?
answered Dec 21, 2017 by Zak
Hello @Zak - welcome to our community! I would suggest that you ask your question in a new thread. This one is about traveling, but you are asking about options to move. That is a slightly different topic. I think if you open a new thread it will make it easier to seperate these to topics and keep the structure of the Wefugees forum clear. Thank you and best regards, Thorgen
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,329 questions
6,333 answers
139,342 users