I did a training as an Electrician, but I lost my papers. How can I continue doing it after reaching the B1-level in German?
asked Oct 11, 2016 in Other Questions by WefugeesEvent | 893 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

4 Answers

+6 votes

That depends on the field in which you have been doing a training. There are three options: 1) Usually, you have to acknowledge your qualification. 2) Or you can  **** up the possibilities for a so called “external examination” which is a test that you have to pass to prove your qualifications. This test requires a good level of German to understand the questions. 3) A third option would be that you ask the Bundesagentur für Arbeit if you can do an Umschulung (retraining which is shorter than a usual training). But this is easier when you already have a residence status and work experience.
You also got the option to do a shortened apprenticeship if you can provide evidence for your previous qualification.
Since you want to work as an electrician you have to choose one of the options above because you it is hard to work as electrician without a certificate.
answered Oct 11, 2016 by EmilyK
+6 votes

Another way would be that an employer gives you the opportunity to do an internship. That way they can check if you fit their needs and which skills you already have. In our experience they often do that without wanting to see your certificates. So losing them does not mean that you have to start all over again.
answered Oct 11, 2016 by @RB
+6 votes

 If you are searching for further information about recognizing your qualification than you can go to https://***.anerkennung-in-deutschland.de/html/de/ . They provide lots of useful information about which professions require an Anerkennung and which authorities you have to talk to.
answered Oct 11, 2016 by Avenir
+6 votes

For the so called Qualifikationsanalyse, which means the evaluation for
your skills as an electrician, you should contact IHK FOSA.
They are government-funded and cooperating with the BAMF.
You can find more detailed info on their website:


You will find a flyer with further info about contacts and procedure for application.
Unfortunately I was not able to display the info in English or Arabic although their is
a possibility to select.

Please be aware, that the process of accrediting your skills by demonstrating your
skills in this process will mean additional costs for you.
The english application form says that the fee for this procedure would be between 100 and 600€.

In any case you should send them  a request if the Qualifikationsanalyse makes sense in your case.
You can receive the flyer in English language here:

answered Oct 11, 2016 by Danny
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,332 questions
6,335 answers
139,347 users