1 view
Hello everyone

I'd like to ask a question. Can i work as a freelancer under a company that give me spontaneous jobs from other companies?(in the contract its self employed..) I am an asylum seekers and only have aufenthaltsgestattung.  I do hope to find a way as a freelancer.
asked Mar 16 in Work by Hellothere | 1 view

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Hi @Hellothere,

You previously asked about self-employment with Aufenthaltsgestattung. In that case I answered that it is possible with the permission of the Ausländerbehörde. I based that information on the following document which gives a good overview of access to employment and self-employment in Germany for different types of residence papers and permits:


The document is only in German but on page 25 it covers Aufenthaltsgestattung. Under the column 'Zugang zur Selbständigkeit' (acess to self-employment) it says it is possible with the permission of the Ausländerbehörde.

However, I have now researched this question further and found other documents with the information that it is not at all possible with Aufenthaltsgestattung. For example at the very end of this document from the IHK:


However, neither source provides a specific legal basis I could check. Ultimately you will get an answer if you apply for permission from the Ausländerbehörde to do the freelance work you mention. Send a written application along with examples of the kind of freelance jobs you are offered.



answered 5 days ago by mbeon-Éanna
Thanks a lot for the detailed answer.
When the first source of information you refered to is from agency for arbeit, is it not most likely possible to be able to work as a freelancer? Also you said its possible in the first place.

I also found out this information according to the agency for arbeit
"As a freelancer, you work independently and offer services in various areas. Asylum seekers and holders of an "Aufenthaltsgestattung" (temporary residence permit) can become self-employed as freelancers in Germany under certain conditions. You must:

Have a valid work permit
Register with the tax authorities
Have sufficient financial means to support yourself without receiving benefits under the German Social Security Code (SGB II)
Have a business idea that is likely to be successful
Show that you have sufficient orders to support yourself

 The other documents you pointed out are probably not the official government documents right? U said there is no legal ground they provide

I emailed the secretary in foreign office and said its not possible or they dont know And there seems to be so many conflicting information yet.

If i have to apply first, i dont know what to prepare other than contracts exactly, I can't find the official requirements for the foreigners office. Nobody knows about it around me including regional foreign office and agency for arbeit and social workers. What should i prepare or where should i **** into?

Thanks in advance
I also found out this in addition:

According to the German Residence Act (Aufenthaltsgesetz), asylum seekers with an Aufenthaltsgestattung are generally not allowed to work in Germany. However, there are some exceptions to this rule.

One of the exceptions is if the asylum seeker obtains permission from the Ausländerbehörde (foreigners' authority) to work as a self-employed person. The legal basis for this exception can be found in § 61 of the German Residence Act.
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,695 questions
5,610 answers
138,308 users