Hello, I'm a asylum seeker my case was denied so I'm appealing in the court, I have an aufenthaltsgestattung. I already do the theoretical test for the german driver licence and I'm waiting for the practical test but the Fahrschule is closed because corona. I'm allowed by the Führerscheinstelle to used my foreign driver license until May of this year and I have the opportunity to buy a good car for a very low price so I want to know if I buy this car I am going to be able to register it with my aufenthaltsgestattung and my foreign driver's license and another question I want to know if this purchase can cause me problems with the sozialamt?  I receive money from them, could they cut the payments or something like that? It's a really cheap car (€800).

Thank you.
asked Feb 18, 2021 in Legal advice by Faga0206 | 1,149 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes
Hello ,

With my experience , yes you will get problem with Sozial Amt , also did you give any valid documents ( Passport or Identity card of your home country ) when you applied Asylum ?

If you gave it already , you have no problem with Register the car on your name , if you didn’t bring any Documents , you can Check on your Aufenthalsattung , in the middle page they is a X marked on the box , which means you can’t regiester the car on your name.
answered Feb 20, 2021 by Nima
Yes I bring when I made my asylum request my passport with me and my personal ID too.  What can I do to avoid problems with the sozialamt?
You can’t avoid , last time my Sozialamt Ansprechpartner told me , Asylum seekers who get help from Amt have no permission to own car , however I explained that I must have a car for My Ausbildung , so they agreed , and I submit all the Money transfers and bank stuffs . So it’s up to your Amt worker , if you can’t prove them a valid reason , then it’s complicated . Also you have to prove them where you got that 800€ ‍♂️ With a valid prove ( like Bank statements or If it’s credit from someone , you have to write a credit contract with signature and all the stuffs with who gave the credit )
0 votes

Dear @Faga0206

Welcome back to the Wefugees Community and thank you for your question. 

I agree with @Nima, to register a car in Germany you need to provide an ID document (national ID or passport). If you submitted your documents to the immigration office, you may ask them for a certified copy and an explanation that they are holding the originals. 

If it comes to the "Sozialamt" and the "Asylbewerberleistungen" (social benefits for asylum seekers) it is getting more complicated. In general, if you are receiving the allowance according to §3 of the "Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz" (you are in Germany less than 18 months) or even according to §1a (the authorities are sactioning you) any capital ("Vermögen") of more than 200 Euros will be considered in the calculation of the allowance. This changes as soon as you receive the allowance according to §2 of the respective law, the so-called "Analogleistungen". Now you will be allowed to have a "capital" of up to 5000 Euros as a single adult person. However, depending on the purpose for buying the car, for instance if you can prove that you are dependent on the car for job purposes, you may get an exceptional permission. 

As you can see, it is not a question we can answer in a general way and it can get complicated. Maybe you can contact the Sozialamt directly or talk to a counselling office to get some support in this. It is important to be transparent, otherwise you might get in trouble with the authorities. They will probably get suspicious and want to know how you are able to finance a car with your social money. Would you agree dear @mbeon-Ruth?

For further explanations, you may also see this thread, in which we discussed a similar topic before.

 I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions. 

All the best, 


answered Feb 20, 2021 by Meike
Ok, I have 14 months in Germany and I don't no what kind of allowance I received from the sozialamt.
What happens if I took the money of my german credit card and use it to paid the car? For example I go to the ATM and make a withdrawal and paid the car with that cash.
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,323 questions
6,318 answers
139,328 users