1 view

I am from Afghanistan. I am studying in Turkey, and recently, I came to Germany for student exchange program (6 months). After finishing my degree in Turkey, my residence permit will finish. Finding a job and creating a living opportunity in Turkey for internationals at the current time is so difficult. Thus, I will have to go back to Afghanistan after graduation, but I cannot go back to my country because of security issues. Since there is a lot of work and living opportunities in German, I would like to stay here and make my life here. My major is Civil engineering. In Germany universities do not teach Civil engineering in English, and I do not know German yet. Thus, I cannot get admission to a German university now. I am looking for ways to stay and ,subsequently, continue my studies in Germany. One of the ways is apparently seeking asylum. I would be so glad if I can receive some information and advice.


asked Nov 13, 2022 in Asylum proceedings by Ali1880 | 1 view

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote

Hello Alli, 

welcome to Wefugees. Thank you for your question and your trust. 
First of all, I would like to draw your attention to the counseling services offered by your university. The international office can help you with your application and preparation. In addition, there is also the 
Bildungsberatung Garantiefond Hochschule
they advise and support young immigrants in starting or continuing their studies. You can get free on-site advice. There are 21 counseling centers throughout Germany. You can register for an appointment on the website.


Then I would like to know whether you are interested in a Bachelor's or a Master's program? 
For example, I found a master's program in civil engineering at the Technical University of Darmstadt that is held in English in the first semester. https://***.tu-darmstadt.de/studieren/studieninteressierte/studienangebot_studiengaenge/studiengang_181568.en.jsp

On the website Study in Germany you can find more important information about studying as a refugee in Germany. The website is in English. https://***.study-in-germany.de/en/plan-your-studies/special-circumstances/refugees/
Regarding your question, yes, it is possible to study as a refugee, 
even if you do not speak German yet.
It is important to find a university that offers their program in English until you have learned German. 
For this you have to apply for asylum, even if this is not yet completed, you can start your studies. 
Further questions can be answered best in the local counseling and you can be supported in the process. 

We answered a similar question on Wefugees: 


also I will link our expert, @meike here, maybe she would like to add something. Thank you very much in advance. 

With best regards 

answered Nov 15, 2022 by Saskia Wefugees
Thank you so much Saskia for you information.
I am doing bachelor's, and as far as I searched in the DAAD database for university programs there were no university that teaches civil engineering in English.
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,928 questions
5,903 answers
138,858 users