I'm Ukrainian refugee and left country after 24.02 for Poland. I have got in Poland PESEL and one time financial help. Now I would like to move to Germany and apply there to temporal protection (paragraph 24). Can I just come to Germany without notifying anyone in Poland or should I get a permission from Germany beforehand that I can come and apply for the protection? If I need to get a permission, how should I do it - go to German embassy in Poland or write to German authorities in Germany?

Could you please help me?

Thank you!
asked Aug 14 in Legal advice by Oleksandra

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
Best answer

Dear @Oleksandra

I did some research for you. If you have already been recognized as a war refugee in another country of the European Union, it is not so easy to come to Germany.

In any case you must first submit an application to your local foreigners authority in Poland. This application is going to be forwarded to the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF). If the BAMF declares its approval of the requested transfer of residence, the authorities of the other EU member state ( in your case Poland) will issue a certificate with which you can then apply for the residence permit according to § 24 AufenthG at the German foreigners authority named therein. 

I will also link our dear expert @mbeon-Éanna here, maybe he can correct me or add more information to my answer. 

I hope my answer helps and please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions. 

All the best, Julia

answered Aug 15 by Julia_Wefugees
Hi Julia,
Thank you very much for quick and detailed response!

One related question to your answer:
Does PESEL count as "war refugee recognition" for Ukrainians in Poland?  

Thank you!
Best, Oleksandra
If I have understood it correctly, it is not an official "war refugee recognition", but you have to register yourself in Poland to get Pesel (personal identification number). It enables the use of social assistance as well as medical services and gives an access to the educational system for Ukrainian refugees.
Dear @Oleksandra, I also found this information sheet. Here you can find more information on your possibilities regarding the residence law in different EU countries: https://ecre.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Information-Sheet-–-Access-to-territory-asylum-procedures-and-reception-conditions-for-Ukrainian-nationals-in-European-countries.pdf I hope this information is useful and please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions. Kind regards, Julia
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,524 questions
5,425 answers
137,839 users