I have been living in Germany for the past 10 years with (34 ABS. 3). I had a baby recently and now receive Arbeitlosengeld II. I recently wrote my Einbürgerungstest and applying for my German citizenship. Will it still be difficult getting it with receiving benefits from jobcentre even though my baby is just a year old.

Kind regards.

asked Apr 10, 2022 in Legal advice by Ruhr | 786 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes

according to federal government:


an exception applies in your situation, as you are in a special family situation (caring for a baby). In your case  it shouldn't be a problem to apply for German citizenship while receiving Arbeitslosengeld II.

Let me know if you need any further assistance, I hope the source I linked here helps you :)

All the best
answered Apr 13, 2022 by Ju_K
0 votes

Dear @Ruhr,

I want to make some additional explainings here. 

Currently, you are holding a residence permit according to section 34 (3)/"Children's right of residence" of the German Residence Act which says:

 (3) The temporary residence permit may be extended as long as the conditions for granting the permanent settlement permit and the EU long-term residence permit have not yet been met.

The process of the naturalization is a bit more complicated and we have to differentiate here between the so-called "Anspruchseinbürgerung" (having the formal right to get the German citizenship) and the "Ermessenseinbürgerung" (the decision on the application will be at the discretion of the authorities). The important difference is here the type of residence permit you are holding when applying for the naturalization. If you are holding a permanent settlement permit (Niederlassungserlaubnis), you may fulfill the requirements for the "Anspruchseinbürgerung". Then, the conditions mentioned by Julia_K apply. However, since you are currently holding a temporary residence permit, I am afraid that the authorities will grant the citizenship only in very very rare exceptions, as long as you are receving social benefits.

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions.

All the best,


answered Apr 22, 2022 by Meike
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,254 questions
6,246 answers
139,246 users