Hello People!

Pardon me for opening a new thread for an already existing topic. I have read many related questions and answers, but I still feel that my case could be slightly different. Please refer me, if possible, to where I can get answers to my question. I am aware that nationality also plays a vital role in legal issues and paper works.

So, I became a father 7 months ago and together with my German girlfriend, we have obtained the following papers:

1. German Birth certificate and passport for our son

2. Joint custody (Garde partagé)

3. Paternity recognition

About me!

I am in possession of a French temporal resident permit. With this paper, I can enter and stay in Germany for not more than 90 days. However, I CAN’T work or conduct any income generating activities on the territory to carter for our needs since the social benefits is insufficient. I would like to fully participate in bringing up our son on daily basis. we are not married yet.

What are the odds that my family reunion visa and work permit request could be granted at the immigration office in Cologne, without me going to France, to apply for from there? Because I am here now.

Besides, I have checked already with the German embassy in Paris. There are no free appointment dates until next year.  Time is passing and as he grows older, so too are his needs.

I welcome your suggestions, tips and any relevant information that could help me navigate through this as soon as possible.

asked Apr 4, 2022 in Legal advice by Marcus237 | 587 views

Dear @Marcus237, welcome to our Wefugees Community and thank you for your question. I'm sorry to see, that you haven't gotten an answer yet. Is your question still current? I will link our dear expert @mbeon-PetraN. here. Maybe she can have a **** at your question and get back to you shortly with some legal advice. Best regards, Julia

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes
Dear Julia,

My question is still valid and I **** forward to your suggestions.


answered Jun 14, 2022 by Marcus237
Hi @Marcus237, thank you for your feedback. I will link our dear experts @mbeon-Ruth, @mbeon-Gabriele and @mbeon-Éanna here, maybe they can help with an answer. Best wishes, Julia.
0 votes
Hi @Marcus237, You can apply at your local immigration office (Ausländerbehörde) for a residence permit according to paragraph 28 of the Residency Law (Aufenthaltsgesetz). This covers family reunification with German citizens, i.e. between you and your child. You will need to send them copies of the documents you mentioned with your application. Also a copy of your passport and Meldebescheinigung (registration as living in the place you currently are). The Ausländerbehörde may first respond by telling you that you did not enter Germany with the appropriate visa and that you have to return to France to apply at the German Embassy there. This rule does not apply in your case because you have a small child. You may have to point out to them this situation and that it is not reasonable to expect you to be separated from your child for a long period of time. Until you are issued with the permit, you are not allowed to work. If you are in need of financial assistance, you can request this from the social office (Sozialamt). This procedure is rather complicated so let me know if this is something you wish to pursue and I can explain it more fully.
answered Jun 15, 2022 by mbeon-Éanna
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,296 questions
6,289 answers
139,289 users