Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
I'm residing illegally in Germany.
I want to get my passport copy notarized so that I can give it to Standesamt for getting issued Ehefähigkeitszeugnis for my girlfriend.
Is it possible to get it? If yes, can the notrar complain about my illegal status?
asked Jan 23 in Legal advice by Arora

Please log in or register to answer this question.

3 Answers

0 votes

Dear @Arora,

Welcome back to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us.

I am also not fully sure about your question and tried to make some research. In this brochure (in German though), for instance, they are explaining that only public authorities have to report people without papers. From my understanding, a notary in this case would need to work confidential for his/her clients and functions in a similar role as a lawyer. But I will also link our expert dear @alla_fka here. Maybe she can correct me or share her experience. 

In any case, the Standesamt IS a public authority. You should be really careful in dealing with them as they might report your status to the immigration office/police at the end. On the other hand, I did not really understand yet, what kind of paper you want to be issued by the Standesamt. Is it a "Ehefähigkeitszeugnis" to marry abroad? Why would be your documents needed then?

Please feel free to get back to us and to discuss your case further.

All the best,


answered Jan 29 by Meike
0 votes
Hell everyone,

is it true that you can marry to a belgium citizen even if you are illegal.

and what about documents. Especially if the illegal prrson has no passport but identity card and copy of passport and other documents that support his identity.

Is it still possible to marry and establish in Belgium please help me with updated informations
answered Apr 3 by Kreizler
Well you can't marry without any legal status in Belgium
0 votes
Well Standesamt don't need your original passport also not Notarized copy of  your passport for Ehefähigkeitszeugnis , you give other all original papers for marriage which they required with copy of your passport and start procedure and after you provide original passport I share with you my personal experience
answered Apr 3 by pk
3,780 questions
4,513 answers
135,933 users