Hello there, I am from Malaysia and i have been married for 5 years to a German man and he has lived here for 5 years as well. My question is, does he need any income for me to apply for a family reunion visa to stay in Germany?  May appreciate the answer. Thank you:)
asked Nov 14, 2020 in Other Questions by Rafidah Lerche | 457 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear Rafidah Lerche,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for your question.

Section 28 of the German Residence Act is regulating the "Subsequent immigration of dependants to join a German national". 

Sentence 1 No 1 is referring to a spouse of a German. The section 28 further says:

[...]In derogation from section 5 (1), no. 1, it is to be granted as a general rule in the cases covered by sentence 1 no. 1. 

For your information: The here mentioned section 5 (1), no. 1 of the Residence Act is stating that the livelihood (of the family) must be secured in order to reunify. The above copied sentence thus means, that for a reunification with a German citizen, the embassy/immigration office usually don't requires the ability to cover all living costs or a sufficient income.

Please keep in mind that they nevertheless most probably ask for very basic German skills (A1).

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions.

All the best,


answered Nov 14, 2020 by Meike
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,254 questions
6,246 answers
139,246 users