Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Hi all,
I am doing Ausbildung als Pflegefachman since September and have got Arbeitsvertrag as well. Since I have started the Ausbildung, the Ausländerbehörde is not giving me the social help for my family (wife and two children). Yet it is a bit difficult for me to nurture my family in my salary. The Behörde has told me that while you are not Anerkannt here so that's why we are not been able to give your family the support in shape of money. My question is when will I be able to get Kindergeld for my children as it is difficult for me to take care of them in my salary.
Looking forward for your reply.

Really Motivated.
asked Oct 16 in Money by Really Motivated

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear Really Motivated, 

Welcome back to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us. 

I am surprised to hear that authorities denied any social money. Holding a Duldung, you are most probably not entitled to get Kindergeld but to receive the so-called Asylbewerberleistungen (depending on your length of stay in Germany either according to par. 3 of the “Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz”/less than 15 months or according to par. 2 - the so-called “Analogleistungen” for more than 15 months) if you are not able to cover your costs /livelihood. 

However, not the the Ausländerbehörde (immigration office) is responsible for the social money. Instead you will need to approach the local “Sozialamt”. 

Am I right on this, dear @mbeon-Christine

For any further questions, please don’t hesitate to get back to us.

All the best, 


answered Oct 30 by Meike
Hi Meike, thanks for your reply. Here I would like to add that I've also spoken to Sozialamt. They said that now you are getting more money after taxes than before (when I was taking social help from Landratsamt) and you can take care of your family in your salary. I was a bit surprised by the answer but don't know what can I do.
Hello Meike,

you're absolutely right.
Dear Really Motivated,

Thank you for getting back to us. If you have doubts that the Sozialamt is calculating correctly, I recommend you to get some support in a (migration) counselling office or a so-called "Sozialberatung". They can look at your current costs of living, you income and check the calculations of the Sozialamt. If you need help in finding such an office close to your location - let us know! We are happy to make some research.

All the best,

3,398 questions
4,167 answers
135,022 users