I am new in this group. and I found here is helpful to gain more information about Germany. However, I still dont understand how to work in Germany.
I am an Indonesian, persuing doctoral degree majoring Biology. I have plan to work in Germany. Now I am also preparing my language ability.

What should I do for get the job in Germany?
Should I consult with job agency?

thank you
asked May 13, 2020 in Work by fika ayu

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear fika ayu,

Thanks for reaching out to the wefugees-community!

Your current residencial status with the purpose of studying allows you to work 120 full days or 240 half days in a year. in this calculation every working day with more than four working hours counts as a whole day and every working day with up to four working hours as half a day.

After graduating you can stay in Germany if you work as a highly qualified worker in your field. You can then get the permanent residencial status "Niederlassungserlaubnis" immediately. If you have not found a job in your field after graduating and still need time the job search you can apply for a residencial status with the purpose of finding a job (up to 12 months).

For further information please visit this website: https://www.studying-in-germany.org/working-germany-after-finishing-phd/

If you need assistance and further individualized advice please download our free and confidential messenging app mbeon https://www.mbeon.de/home/.

I hope my answers were helpful and I would be very happy if you would contact me again with further questions. I'm a consultant with mbeon and I‘ll be glad to help you over a longer period of time. Mbeon is an online advice for migrants via the mbeon app, which you can install on your smartphone for free. Download it from App Store or Google Play Store. You can find me in the mbeon app and get confidential individual advice in a secure virtual space without other people reading our conversation. Further information: www.mbeon.de.

Best regards,


answered May 13, 2020 by Mbeon-Rukundo

Thank you for the answer. I am sorry I didn't explain the detail of my information. Now I am pursuing my doctoral study in Indonesia. And my plan after my graduation is going to Germany, however I don't know any information how to go to Germany with my qualification.
Is it possible to apply some program in Germany with my Indonesian doctoral degree?
Thank you
Dear @fika ayu,

with your qualification it is possible to be in Germany as a highly qualified worker. In order to do that your qualification has to be recognized in Germany. There are special instituions who guide you through the recognition process or tell you if your qualification only needs to be translated into german without having it recognized. In order to find out about the recognition of your degree please visit this website: https://www.anerkennung-in-deutschland.de/html/en/.
The next step for you is to find a job while you are still in Indonesia. What you need is a contract or an individualized job offer. The job agency (BA) has a platform on which you can find many job offers but of course you can also check other platforms. Then you apply for the visa for qualified professionals at the german embassy providing the job offer and other required documents. Once you hold the visa you can move to Germany and receive a residence permit with the purpose of obtaining qualified employment. For more detailed information about the process please see this graphic https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/fileadmin/MiiG_Fachkraefte/Bilder/3_Visum/Visagrafik_EN/200221_Visagrafik_EinBlick_EN_Arbeiten_Fachkraefte.pdf.

Besides this visa there are other types which might also be possible for you (visa with the purpose of jobseeking, learning german, recognition of foreign degrees). You can read about them here: https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/en/visa/quick-check/. Since I found the one for working as a highly qualified professional most applicable to you I focussed on this one.

I hope this answer is helpful for you. Otherwise feel free to contact me on the messenging app mbeon.

Best regards,

mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,431 questions
5,302 answers
137,531 users