My fiancee is german and i'm a student from west africa (nigeria), we are having a baby in few weeks, what do i need to extend my residence, or change my residence, whats the importance of a "vaterschaftsanerkennung" does my baby need to bear my surname or till we are married.

I just need an advice on how to go about the whole thing on german rules..thank you
asked Apr 21, 2020 in Other Questions by Ony17 | 969 views
Reason why i hav asked this is because every year after my permit is expired as a student the office want we show atleast 8,000 euros. Which can be very difficult

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

+1 vote
Best answer

Hello @Ony,

thank you for reaching out to the Wefugees community and for sharing your questions with us.

As you already hold a residence permit as a student, there is no urgent need to change your residence permit. You could finish your studies and consolidate your stay here provided you meet the conditions (good command of German, secured livelihood without social assistance, sufficient living space) relatively quickly after your studies.

If you marry your girlfriend, you can change your residence permit to a spouse visa, which would entitle you to consolidate your stay after three years and even apply for German citizenship, if the above mentioned conditions are met and you're still together then.

Acknowledgment of paternity makes sense anyway as long as you aren't married, if you wish that the child carries your surname. In this case, you also have to apply for joint custody.

On the basis of custody for a German child you could also apply for an other kind of residence permit according to § 28 Abs. 1 S. 1 Nr. 3 AufenthG, which will be extended as long as a "factual parent-child-relationship" exists, that is that you actively take care of the education and well-being of the child.

If you get married, you will automatically obtain joint custody and have to agree on a surname for the child. If you cannot agree on one name, the court will determine the surname.

I hope my answers were useful for you and I'll be very pleased if you contact me again with further questions. I'm a member of the mbeon-staff and I‘ll be glad to guide over a longer period of time. mbeon is an online advisory service for migrants via the mbeon-app, which you can download on your smartphone for free. You'll find me in the mbeon-app under my name „München, Frau Müller“ and get confidential one-to-one advice in a safe virtual room where nobody can read messages. For further information please visit ***.mbeon.de.

Download for Android: https://play.google.***/store/apps/details?id=de.zone35.mbeon

Download for iOS: https://apps.apple.***/de/app/mbeon-messengerberatung/id1408795643

Best regards,


answered Apr 22, 2020 by mbeon-Christine
Reason why i have asked is because every year in other for m to renew the office wants us to show atleast 8000euro before renewal and can be some times difficult
0 votes
Bro ..I reply to your message because you are my brother ..

First things try and get the vetershaft then after the baby is born get the sorgeret . The two paper will sure lead you to resident permit  in Germany without married the mother  and you can take care of your family ..is very important to get the two .  All the best
answered Apr 22, 2020 by Easytemmy
Danke, so much
I am on a student visa, so i have not much idea.
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,329 questions
6,333 answers
139,339 users