Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
I am almost five years in Germany and working for the last 3 years in one company. I got my 3 years work permit when my status was "Aufenthaltsgestattung". Now since one year, i am holding Duldung and my work permit will expire next month,.

Would i be able to renew the work permit as i am working in the same company ?

My wife is also holding Duldung, would she be allowed to work ?

Thanks & Regards,

asked Feb 5, 2020 in Work by damandu

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

+1 vote

Dear David, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Wefugees Community! 

Without knowing your and your wife's situation much, it is a bit difficult to answer your question. In general, as a Duldung-holder, you need the approval of the immigration office ("Ausländerbehörde") to be allowed to work. They will check, for example, if you are able to prove your identity or if you "cooperate" and try your best to organize documents/a passport at least. 

I will link two of our wonderful experts here (@mbeon-bernd and @mbeon-caritas), maybe they want to add some more information. 

However, always feel free to get back to us with any further question or if you want to discuss your case in more detail. 

All the best, 


answered Feb 7, 2020 by Meike
There is a law which says if you are 4 yrs in Deutschland you can get permanent work permit.. talk to your lawyer to organise it for you through the courts.. I know someone who got it and has duldung
+1 vote

Hello David,

thank you for your question. Since Mike tagged me in her comment on your question, i have also read it. I can only support her answer.

At first you need to apply at the "Ausländerbehörde" for a renewal for your permit. If you are able to hand in your employment contract, please do that also.  After that the "Ausländerbehörde" will check all requirements.

You may visit a "Rechtshilfekomitee" or a local "Migrationsberatung" for more Information. 

You are also welcome to visit mbeon.

I hope my answers were helpful. I'm a consultant with mbeon and I‘ll be glad to help you over a longer period of time. Mbeon is an online advice for migrants via the mbeon app, which you can install on your smartphone for free. Download it from App Store or Google Play Store. You can find me in the mbeon app and get confidential individual advice in a secure virtual space without other people reading our conversation. Further information:

Best regards,

your mbeon advisor mbeon-caritas

answered Feb 10, 2020 by mbeon-caritas
4,043 questions
4,811 answers
136,523 users