Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Pls I moved to Germany 2 yrs ago. (recently turned 19). I've just finished secondary school in my country before I moved to Germany. I've done B1 and B2 German courses and have the results. I also have rhealschulabschluss(which is
the secondary school result I have from my country). I've translated it in German and it is officially confirmed that it's rhealschulabschluss. I wanna study but I need to have an Abitur. I had to attend Gymnasium(which is pretty much secondary school again) which I did but I didn't succeed due to the language barrier. I'm decent at German but it didn't help me in the Gymnasium as it was too difficult. Now someone suggested that I do an Ausbildung and then go to the University. Can I be admitted to the university with Realschulabschluss + Ausbildung? Or what do you suggest I should do? I really wanna study mechanical engineering. I need help pls
asked Nov 11, 2019 in Legal advice by Victor woha
edited Nov 12, 2019 by Victor woha

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear Victor woha,

thank you for sharing your question with the Wefugees Community!

I am not an expert on that field, but I thought I would share some general information I have with you regarding studying in Germany without an "Abitur":

It is true that in general there is the possibility to study after a vocational training (Ausbildung). But be aware that it is only possible under certain circumstances. So there are in general two ways:

  • You do an Ausbildung that takes at least 2 years in the field of your future studies (so in your case it should be somehow related to mechanical engineering), then you continue to work for 3 years in that field & after that you can start studying. Some universities also require you to take a special exam or they check the grades you got during Ausbildung. But this is definetly a way to go, it just takes some time (at least 5 years before you can start).
  • Another option is that you find an Ausbildung where after finishing it you can either do a so called master exam ("Meister") or finish with another high qualification. There is an option in your field of interest that you can do a special qualification after finishing Ausbildung to become a "state approved technician". If you finish this special qualification you are also approved to attend university. But keep in mind that these special qualifications are in most of the case not available directly after finishing the Ausbildung (you might need at least 1 year of work experience) and they can also take up to 2-3 years. So it could probably take as long as option No. 1, maybe longer. But the good thing is, that you already learn a lot of relevant information that you might need at university as well.

In the different Federal States (Bundesländer) the circumstances for studying without Abitur vary, f. e. if the university asks you to take a special exam. Via this link you can find an overview of the situation in the different Federal States. But this is probably not yet relevant for you but first when it comes to deciding at which university you want to study.

I hope this answer was useful for you. Maybe someone else in the Community who is specialized in education and/or work can also show some alternatives for you!

All the best


answered Nov 12, 2019 by InfoVerbund
Thank you so much!
But damn that will take long. I've got one question. Is there a way for me to study outside in an English speaking country? I don't yet have German resident permit but I'll get it in 2 or 3 yrs time. Can I apply for UNI in countries like Canada? If yes, then what do I need and how? Or is there a way to get the Abitur after with Realschule? Cuz by your explanation, this method I wanna take is gonna take long(5 to 6 yrs before I'll go to the University). And I'll be about 25 by then
3,122 questions
3,889 answers
134,458 users