Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany


If I'm registered in a heim in Sachsen, don't have an AOK insurance, can I receive basic dental treatment in Berlin-Brandenburg? Only I have is a letter of exemption from medical costs that doesn't indicate any lander and I have two krankenschein.

I'm a rejected asylum-seeker currently registered in Sachsen and haven't completed my 15-month period to apply for a AOK/TK insurance. For this reason, I am limited only to receive healthcare by asking the management of Sozialamt (or however the office is called) as far as I know. Within my previous experience, the attitude of the stuff at Sozialamt was not very friendly and the time I had at dentist's was way worse - it ended up with no medical treatment. I'm not residing in Sachsen anymore after all the tension rising during elections, security concerns. Just visiting for signature every month now. 

By the time, my teeth got way worse and turned to gum infection and pain is now unbearable. Also I have two more months until I'll be eligible to apply for an insurance card and not sure I can resist the pain until that time.

asked Oct 11, 2019 in Healthcare by kirikcezve

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @kirikcezve,

Thank you for sharing your situation with the Wefugees Community!

I am not familiar with the health system for refugees in Sachsen, but I called a migration counselling office in Leipzig to get some more information. They told me, that nowadays you unfortunately need to be in the asylum procedure for at least 18 months to receive an insurance card (the 15 months you were mentioning seem to be outdated). 

Making some further research, I found a contract between the local authorities in Sachsen and the "Kassenärztliche Vereinigung Sachsen (KZVS)", which is kind of a union of doctors in Sachsen. According to section 3 of this contract (§3), if a dental treatment is urgently needed, asylum-seekers can choose between in the KZVS registered dentists with "orientation to the residential restrictions of asylum-seekers". Considering these phrases and the fact, that the health systems for refugees vary in Germany's federal states, I am afraid that you will get problems if you want to get a treatment outside of your "Landkreis" in which you are registered.

I would highly recommend you to see a doctor in Sachsen as soon as possible. I hope this helps and please feel free to get back to us with any further questions.

All the best,


answered Oct 14, 2019 by Meike
Dear Meike, I'm thankful for your elaborate and detailed reply and grateful for your help. I will contact with the Sozialamt in my landkreis immediately to seek their assistance.
3,398 questions
4,167 answers
135,022 users