Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
I'm a refugee in France but I have my Nigeria passport my girlfriend is America citizen and she want to make a visa for me to travel to the US can I use my Nigeria passport to apply for it or will my asylum affect it
asked Feb 22, 2019 in Legal advice by sparo17
edited Apr 25, 2019 by Safia Advocate

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @Sparo17,

Thank you for your question and sorry you had to wait so long for an answer!

If you received international protection in France, you cannot travel with your Nigerian passport. You can, however apply for one of the following special travel documents at the Préfecture:

  • A foreigners travel document (titre de voyage pour les étrangers) if you have refugee protection (10 years residence permit). It will be valid for 5 years and cost 45 Euros. You can find more info (in French) on the documents to provide here.
  • A travel document for persons benefiting subsidiary protection (titre de voyage pour protégés subsidiaires) if you have subsidiary protection (1 year residence permit). It will be valid for a year and cost 15 Euros. Here is more info on the documents to provide (in French)!
Note that, if you asylum claim is still ongoing (if you did not receive a decision yet), you are not supposed to leave the French territory.
I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to add a comment if you need additional information!
All the best,
answered Apr 25, 2019 by Safia Advocate
3,054 questions
3,815 answers
134,296 users