i have residence permit for 3 years ans still live with my german girlfriend and kid. i have b2 certificate and currently doing ausbildung sincelast year. can apply for permanent residence permit
asked Jan 14 in Other Questions by Kanikani

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @Kanikani,

Welcome back to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us again.

I assume you are holding a residence permit according to section 28 of the German Residence Act?

In that case, you could apply for a permanent residence permit (Niederlassungserlaubnis) if you fulfil the following requirements (I took the list from this website):

Permanent settlement permit for family members of German citizens

Upon application, you may receive a permanent settlement permit if

  • you have cohabited with a German spouse or same-sex life partner, child or parent
  • for 3 years with a temporary residence permit,
  • have sufficient proficiency in the German language, and
  • the subsistence of your family is ensured.

A permanent settlement permit will be granted in most cases if you have satisfied the requirements set out in the section “Prerequisites”.


  • Possession of a residence permit for 3 years

    The period in which a valid national visa was held will be counted as well, provided you have cohabited with your German family member since arrival.

  • Family cohabitation with one German national.The German family member may be your
    • spouse or same-sex life partner,
    • child, or
    • parent.
    Family cohabitation must
    • have persisted without interruption for at least 3 years
    • and still be current.
  • In-person visit

    Personal appointments should be by arrangement only. Your German family member must also attend the appointment.

    If the foreign father of a German child places an application for a temporary residence permit without being accompanied by the child’s mother, confirmation from the Youth Welfare Office (not older than 14 days) concerning visiting rights must be submitted.

  • Proof of Income

    Your income must be sufficient to ensure your subsistence (including the subsistence of your foreign family members).
    Your subsistence is not ensured if you receive public benefits from a Job Center (unemployment benefits II) or the Social Welfare Office (basic income support payment).
    Your spouse or same-sex life partner may also provide proof of income.

  • Sufficient health insurance

    Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance".

  • Sufficient command of the German language

    You must demonstrate sufficient proficiency in the German language (level B1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).

  • No criminal record

    Even fines may prevent the granting of a permanent settlement permit.

  • Main residence in Berlin

Documents required

  • Valid passport

    An ID card or a child ID card is also sufficient for the German family member.

  • 1 current biometric photo

    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background

  • Proof of incomeFor employees:
    • Employment contract,
    • Confirmation from the current employer of ongoing employment (not older than 14 days),
    • The last six payslips,
    • Insurance history from the Deutsche Rentenversicherung – German Statutory Pension Insurance Scheme
    For self-employed persons:
    • Audit report (Prüfungsbericht) prepared by an accountant, auditor or tax consultant with all the documents referred to therein, e.g. the excerpt from the commercial register (refer to Forms)
    • Last tax assesment
    For pensioners:
    • notice of pension approval
    In case of disability or a reduction in earning capacity:
    • notice of pension approval due to disability or a reduction in earning capacity, or
    • current assessment by the Federal Employment Office, or
    • meaningful doctor’s certificate
  • Health insurance
    • If you have “statutory” health insurance: current confirmation of cover from your health insurer
    • If you have “private” health insurance: insurance policy and proof that the premiums are paid (for instance bank statements)
  • Lease or proof of home ownership

    The living space as well as the monthly rent or the housing costs of your own property (house or apartment) must be proven.

  • Certificates showing participation in the integration course (if available)
    • "Zertifikat Integrationskurs" (Integration Course Certificate) confirming successful completion of the integration course
    • Certificate showing the results of the final test
    These documents facilitate review of the application. You may also demonstrate your sufficient proficiency in the German language by other means during the personal appointment.
  • Proof of the receipt of other benefits

    Do you receive child benefits, child allowances, parental benefits, a care allowance or similar benefits?
    If so, please bring suitable proof (e.g. notices of approval).

  • Certification of school attendance or a vocational training course for adult childrenCertification of school attendance or a vocational training course is necessary for:
    • an adult foreign child of a German parent, or
    • a foreign parent of an adult German child.

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions.

All the best,


answered Jan 15 by Meike
I am currently doing my Ausbildung and my girlfriend is a teacher. We still live together. I don’t earn so much cuz I am doing Ausbildung but don’t depend on any benefits too. Is it still possible?
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,316 questions
5,158 answers
137,068 users