Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Hello, l am back again. We finally got married last month after a year. The journey hasn't been easy but l give thanks to the Lord.           My husband doesn't leave in Germany, he is an EU resident. l was told by the local Integration office that he has to register with a Germany address first and show proof of employment then l can apply for a residence permit. Immediately a few days after registration for marriage at Standesamt, l received a rejection letter of my Asylum case which l had waited for almost 2 years +

1. My husband wants to relocate to Germany and work as a freelancer and for him to do so the Freelance visa/permit will only be issued if he has Germany address + Tax number. Please advise what to do next who do l ask for this information. Should l contact the Socialamt  or Ausländerberhorde offices for clarity? Your help is most appreciated.
asked Dec 5, 2020 in Legal advice by kathy

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @kathy

Welcome back to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us again. 

First of all, congratulations and I am very happy to hear that you were finally able to marry! All the best for you both! Regarding your husband: If he is an EU citizen, he doesn't need a visa or a residence permit to live and work in Germany. If he wants to stay longer than 90 days and work, he needs to be an employee, job-seeking but (as far as I know) he can also be a freelancer. All he needs to do is register himself with the local authority (Einwohnermeldeamt) . Can he move in and register at your place? The tax number will automatically be sent after he got registered. If he needs time and sources to familarize himself with the labour market and freelancer system in Germany (finding partners, insurance, accounting etc.), he might also consider to work part time (even a so-called Minijob will be enough) and apply for complementary social money (after three months). Would you agree dear @mbeon-Christine and is there anything you would like to add? 

In any case, please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions. 



answered Dec 6, 2020 by Meike
hallo, Thank you. Yes he wants to live with me and also work as a freelancer but we were told these rules which are still confusing, Now with Covid - 19 and travel restrictions can he register (Einwohnermeldeamt) online?  2. Was told If he gets the tax number then he will be able to invoice his freelance work then afterward l can apply for residence permit. Who do l ask about the Einwohnermeldeamt and requirements for a residence permit that was the question too? Thank you
3,486 questions
4,240 answers
135,203 users