Hello everyone,
I came to Germany in Dec 2015 and applied for asylum. In Sep 2016 as soon as I got my work permit, I started Working (Still working to this day). I had my 1st interview in Sep 2016 and got my 1st Denial in Feb 2017 then, got the 2nd Denial in April 2018. I currently hold a Duldung Status. I have a clean background with no criminal history and always paid my taxes, never had gov help since Sep 2016 apart from the gov residential place (even in that place I paid a subsidized rent) and in Jan 2020 I moved out of that residency and rented an apartment which means I have now my own address.

I am really stressed about my status, I came here to ask for help, Is there any pathway to becoming a residence or get rid of duldung at least? Is there a new law that will give me the hope to change my status??? Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

asked Oct 19, 2020 in Asylum proceedings by wolfspirit

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

+1 vote
Best answer

Dear @wolfspirit,

Thanks for reaching out to the wefugees community!

First of all I am very sorry about the disappointment of two rejected claims for asylum. A situation like this is not easy on anyone. All the more I want to give you credit for not giving up and still working out ways for your future in Germany.

Generally it is not easy to move from Duldung to a residence permit. There are a couple of ways though that might be worth a try. I will list them here, based on the limited information I have on your individual situation.

  1. Residence permit according to § 19d AufenthG: for people who have either finished a vocational training in Germany or have been working as qualified worker in Germany (for at least 3 years).
  2. Residence permit according to §25 Abs.5 AufenthG: for people that are highly unlikely to be able to get deported within the next few years due to humanitarian reasons (e. g. because of the situation in their home country)
  3. Residence permit according to § 23a AufenthG: applies to people that would find themselves in extraordninary social hardship if deported. What qualifies as a case of extreme social hardship has to be evaluated individually.
  4. Residence permit according §25b AufenthG: for people who have lived in Germany for more than eight years and are wholly integrated in German society.

Those are the options that have come to my mind at first glance. Maybe @Meike has some additional ideas?

I hope my answers were helpful and I would be very happy if you would contact me again with further questions. I'm a consultant with mbeon and I‘ll be glad to help you over a longer period of time. Mbeon is an online advice for migrants via the mbeon app, which you can install on your smartphone for free. Download it from App Store or Google Play Store. You can find me in the mbeon app and get confidential individual advice in a secure virtual space without other people reading our conversation. Further information: www.mbeon.de.

Best regards,

your mbeon-Rukundo

answered Oct 20, 2020 by Mbeon-Rukundo
Thank you so much for your useful insight.
+1 vote


think it also might be a good idea to contact a lawyer for asylum and migration I can give you some addresses, in which state of Germany do you live? 

Best wishes 


answered Oct 20, 2020 by Julia BaSEl
Hello Julia, thanks for replying to my question. I live in Mainz (Rhineland-Palatinate), I would be grateful if you share the addresses. Best.
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,431 questions
5,302 answers
137,531 users