Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Good morning, everyone! Please, my question goes thus, I'm a legal student here in Germany and for the past one year, I'm dating a girl who is a refugee here in Germany and has three children. Two of them with her mother back at home and the youngest here with her in Germany. She had children with a man whom she never loved but because of their tradition and culture she was helpless and now that she had the opportunity to travel and settle in Germany, she found her soulmate ( me). And we love each other so much. I love her from the bottom of my heart and in fact things are very smooth among us including the 5 years old. Now, she wants to invite the other two children to come join her here in Germany without including the man. The man lives in a different country while the children are with the girl's mother in a different country. So, she's afraid that the man may interfere should she try to bring the kids alone excluding the man, or should the man know that she loves another person, that he may interfere and prevent the children from coming to Germany. So, I don't know what to do to help her and I'm still schooling. Is the anything she can do to invite the children without the man interfering? Because in their land, a woman can ever ask for divorce.
asked Oct 4, 2020 in Asylum proceedings by Gilbert
Where is she from?

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes

Dear @Gilbert

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us. 

As far as I know, there is unfortunately no way to apply for family reunification (move the kids to Germany) without the consent of the father. In some cases, if the location of the father is unknown or he is missed etc., a police report or something similar might be sufficient for the visa application. But those are exceptional circumstances and it is still not easy to process. I will link our dear @alla_fka here also. Am I right on this or do you have more positive information? 

However, please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions. 

All the best, 


answered Oct 7, 2020 by Meike
0 votes

Hallo Gilbert,

without knowing more details I can only agree with Meike. The German embassy will check, if the children have a father with the right of a custody. As the married people normally have joined custody, they will insist on the permission from the father that the children can leave their country for Germany. Or they will want a proof that the father is dead, disappeared (official statement about that) or lost his right of a custody.

Perhaps it is possible to achieve some kind of an agreement with this man...

answered Oct 8, 2020 by Alla_fka
3,485 questions
4,232 answers
135,195 users