How many years After having received the Aufenthaltstitlel/Aufenthalterlaubnis can one apply for citizenship?
asked Jul 2, 2020 in Other Questions by Sidra | 591 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

4 Answers

0 votes

hello Sidra,

thank you for reaching out to the Wefugees community.

Here are the requirements for the naturalization:

Foreigners who have lived in Germany permanently and lawfully for eight years may be eligible for naturalization. The basic requirements for naturalization:

  • right of permanent residence at time of naturalization
  • renunciation of previous citizenship
  • familiarity with the legal system, society and living conditions in the Federal Republic of Germany (naturalization test)
  • ability to support oneself without recourse to social assistance
  • oral and written German language skills equivalent to level B 1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
  • no criminal convictions
  • commitment to the constitutional principles of freedom and democracy

The fee for naturalization is 255 euros per person; the fee for minor children naturalized with their parents is 51 euros per child.

(These informations are from ***.bmi.bund.de)

Normally you have to wait 8 years, when you have a legal resident permit. The times of the successful asylum procedure are counted.

With the German language level B 1 you have to wait 7 years, with B 2 or higher 6 years.

I hope my answers were helpful and I would be very happy if you would contact me again with further questions. I'm a member of the mbeon-staff and I‘ll be glad to help you over a longer period of time. mbeon is an online advice for migrants via the mbeon app, which you can install on your smartphone for free. Download it from App Store or Google Play Store. You’ll find me in the mbeon-app under my location Mannheim and then my name Frau Schünemann and get confidential one-to-one advice in a safe virtual room where nobody can read messages. For Further information please visit ***.mbeon.de.
Best regards,


answered Jul 2, 2020 by manrhei-mbeon
I had a word with my social worker. Unfortunately she informed me that even for the second time it would be negative. As I have ausbildung, after completion of my ausbildung and after having received a job, I will be able to apply for the permit. So the normal naturization year is same too for rejected asylum seekers? Or it can be reduced to 6 years if one has special integration qualifications. Please answer this!!
Thank you so much for your reply!! You guys are doing a very good job by helping out people at this platform! God bless you guys!
0 votes
Hello Sidra,

can you explain me, what kind or resident permit you have?

Best regards

answered Jul 3, 2020 by manrhei-mbeon
0 votes

Hello Sidra,

If you have the residence permit "Aufenthaltsgestattung", this is not enough for naturalization.

If you are recognized as a person entitled to asylum and hold the residence title pursuant to Section 25. 1 or Section 25.2. Aufenthaltsgesetz then the times of the residence permit "Aufenthaltsgestattung" will be included.

Best regards


answered Jul 6, 2020 by manrhei-mbeon
0 votes
Hello @Sidra, I just tried to answer your latest question, but I can't go back to it because It's been removed or hidden. So please reopen it or visit me at mbeon. Best regards Christine
answered Aug 24, 2020 by mbeon-Christine
Is it visible to you right now?
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,998 questions
5,963 answers
138,956 users