I have a German student visa and study at Cologne University. Due to a justified reason, I am unable to request a passport from my home country embassy. My passport and my residence permit will expire soon. I need a new passport to extend my residency.

 I am also qualified to receive asylum status. 

Due to my study, I prefer to choose a way which has a lower limitation because I am a doctoral student and should be able to travel for research and training easily. Now to compare these two options( submit for asylum or for a gray pass)  especially in terms of moving limitations, I have 4 questions: 

1- If Cologne foreign office issued  Reiseausweis für Ausländer und Staatenlose, does it mean I must live only in the Cologne? ( for example, I wouldn't be allowed to reside in another city in NRW or another state (eg. Bremen )?

2- Should I remain in my German student position if I want to have Reiseausweis für Ausländer und Staatenlose? What will happen if I leave my PhD? Is leaving my study will cancel my gray pass? What will happen if I decide to start a university program in another German state?

3- After getting Reiseausweis für Ausländer und Staatenlose, if I receive a job offer from another EU country (or if I want to stay in another country for a one or two years fellowship ), can I get the working visa of that country with my German Reiseausweis für Ausländer und Staatenlose? 

4- I read in the forum, the duration of gray pass would be the same as the duration of my study. What will happen when I finish my study?!! Should I submit asylum when the gray pass expired? I just think that it might be wise to submit asylum now if I have to finally do it after 2 or 3 years! 

4- Which option is a better option for a person who wants to travel and work in the EU with lower limitation? 

 I would appreciate your recommendation. I have a complicated condition and I wish to find a way with less harm to my academic future.  Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. 

closed with the note: Questions are getting closed after a year of no interaction.
asked Jun 6, 2020 in Legal advice by Azar1990
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,316 questions
5,158 answers
137,068 users