Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
I'm not fluent in German so I struggled in the Gymnasium and couldn't make it. I've a Realschulabschluss. Can I somehow get the Abitur?  I wanna go to the UNI
asked Nov 13, 2019 in Education by Victor woha

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear Victor woha,

Thank you for reaching out to the Wefugees Community!

In general, there are several options to make the Abitur at a later date, even years after you finished the "Realschule". You could, for example, get enrolled in a so-called "Abendgymnasium" or a "Kolleg". 

Next to the Abitur ("Allgemeine Hochschulreife"), there is also the option to make the "Fachabitur" (Fachhochschulreife). This would qualify you to go to the "Fachhochschule" (where you can also study for Bachelors and Masters and is more practical oriented) and even some selected universities later.

I recommend you to get some counselling at your local "Arbeitsagentur". I am sure they will be happy to support you in this.

I hope this helps and do not hesitate to get back to us with any further questions.

All the best,


answered Nov 15, 2019 by Meike
3,123 questions
3,898 answers
134,466 users