My boyfriend is a Syrian national who is illegally in Lebanon while I permanently reside in the U.S. Right now, the Syrian embassy is closed so he cannot even visit. Is there a way around this? Could we still marry in the U.S. or would we have to marry in Lebanon or Syria? If we do, would the U.S. recognize our marriage?
asked Jan 13, 2019 in Legal advice by InterestedParty

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @InterestedParty

Welcome to the Wefugees community and thank you for your question! 

Just a heads up: I'm not a lawyer, so all I'm sharing with you here is what I've come up with during my research. 

As you already mentioned, due to his illegal status he can't travel to the U.S. - and since he is illegally in Lebanon, I'm unsure if that is an option (the Lebanese marriage law seems very strict and if neither of you is Lebanese, it could be impossible to get married). 

Here is what the U.S. Embassy Lebanon says on marriage: 

Also, an overview by the British Embassy Beirut: 

I'm sorry that I can't help you more. Depending on where you are in the U.S., it may help to reach out to a refugee support service and ask them for advice! Here are the UNHCR - USA Contact details: 

Feel free to reach out to us again if you need any more assistance or to share an update on your situation with us. 

All the best, 


answered Jan 17, 2019 by Isa
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,316 questions
5,158 answers
137,068 users