I would like to know if I can continue working as dental assistant but without ausbildung and no previous degree from my country in this field. I just have a few month experience from my Ausbildung trial period from a clinic in Germany. I like the profession very much and would like to continue it either in the same company as full time employment or in another company or another city. I can't continue my Ausbildung and have unfortunately to leave due to family and financial issues, plus my residence depends on it.  I want to know my options and chances of work and what challenges I will have to face it after making this decision. I am planning to remain in Germany and want to leave here and get later PR or citizenship. That's why I want to know about all the process and the legal right ways.
asked Sep 27, 2022 in Legal advice by Lily | 1,610 views
Hi, Did you say you have a few month experience  and no degree in the field? What is the agency tho continue your Ausbildung since you love the job. All the best!!

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

+1 vote
Best answer

Hi @Lily,

Based on my research, you can work as a dental assistant without an Ausbildung. It is not one of the protected professions in Germany (e.g. doctor), where a specific qualification is required. However, it is likely you will not be allowed perform certain tasks such as x-rays. You can also take the final exams to have the ZFA qualification as an external candidate.

If you residency is based on the Ausbildung, then you will only be able to change your permit to a work permit if you have a qualification either from Germany or a recognised one from another country. A job as a ZFA without a qualification will not unfortunately not be enough to obtain a permit.

You mentioned financial difficulty with the Ausbildung. Have you looked into the possibility of getting the BAB support payment for people doing an Ausbildung? However, it is quite restrictive in accessing it for non-Germans.



answered Sep 30, 2022 by mbeon-Éanna
+1 vote
Hello Lilli, thank you very much for your trust. As far as I know, there is a risk that you will lose your residence permit if you quit your Ausbildung. Therefore, it is very important that you discuss this option with the Agentur für Arbeit, employment agency in advance and get good advice. I am not an expert and will link our experts @meike and @mbeon-christine here again. I would also like to refer you to a similar question https://***.wefugees.de/813918/can-i-change-my-ausbildung-visa-to-work-permit which has already been answered by an expert. I wish you all the best and hope to have helped you a little further. Best regards Saskia
answered Sep 29, 2022 by Saskia Wefugees
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,328 questions
6,332 answers
139,335 users