Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Hey, I'm a gay student from Egypt and trying to apply for asylum here in Thüringen. For now I have a residence permit that will expire by the end of next year and I'm renting my own place in Weimar so will I have to stay in a refugee camp once I make an application? And I need some legal help in Weimar or Erfurt with the proceedings of the application because I can only speak in English and Arabic and my German skills are very poor so I've really no idea where to start from with the application and what I'm supposed to do.

asked Dec 3, 2018 in Asylum proceedings by msha

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
Best answer

Dear @msha,

Thank you for sharing your situation with us and welcome to the Wefugees community.

First, it might be best to give you an idea of who can help out in your area, so I've looked up a few places in Thüringen that support asylum seekers and do consultations. This is the English website from "Flüchtlingsrat Thüringen": 

As they mention on their website, they "offer consultation for single cases in questions concerning the asylum procedure, the Dublin-procedure, social rights and education/ work for asylum seekers in Germany", so it might be very helpful to go there and talk to them in person about your situation. On the site, you can also select downloading the information in different languages (Arabic as well). 

Here is the contact information from Ellen Könneker, who is offering advice and information on asylum in Thüringen: 
Ellen Könneker
Phone: 0361/ 51 80 51-25

More contact information is found here (this page is in German):

Since I couldn't see whether or not they also offer consultations on LGBT matters, here is the website of Queer Refugees, who definitely do:

I've also found an information sheet addressed to asylum seekers (in English) by the Thüringer Ministry for Social Matters, Family and Health:

Plus, more information on how to apply for asylum and what happens next is found here:

I hope that these information sheets help to understand the proceeding a bit better. Still, I think it makes a lot of sense to talk to someone in person about your specific situation! 

And to come back to your first question - where you will be able to live - I will link @Nilab here, because I'm unsure about the regulations in this case.

Please feel free to reach out to the community again if you have any more questions.

All the best,


answered Dec 7, 2018 by Isa
selected Dec 8, 2018 by msha
Dear @msha, as for your question on the place where you stay. If the rent is not too high you can stay there but make sure you address this in the beginning. Get a lawyer or as mentioned by @Isa a legal organization as help to do all the steps with you together. Best regards, Nilab
2,422 questions
2,980 answers
131,693 users