When you apply for an apartment, overall you will need:
• A Schufa entry, which proves that you are not in debt. You can apply for this here https://www.meineschufa.de/index.php?site=11_3
(unfortunately only in German).
• A prove of income. The documents you will get from the job center will state that you receive state support. That counts as prove of income.
• A passport or another document of identification.
• Usually, you also need a statement that you don’t owe your previous landlord any money.
Little pieces of advice:
- Always say that it’s absolutely wonderful and that you would love to move in.
- Try to make a good impression, tell them you are a very quiet person. Germans like quietness :)
- Put on a big smile and hope the landlord is a nice guy